2013-08-14

02:18 oeyvind joined #geoloqi
02:21 <oeyvind> hi I have a question. We plan to use only one global layer and have one trigger and callbacks. This will allow us to control when we send push notifications to apps and we can enrich them with user specific content. From looking at the pricing scheme it looks as if you charge per trigger events, which doesn't seem to suit us very well. The reason we have to do it this way is because with Geoloqi you have to subscribe every user to every
02:21 <oeyvind> layer in order for the user to participate in a layer, which doesn't seem feasible.
05:00 <oeyvind> anyone?
07:03 <aaronpk> oeyvind: that is correct. You are welcome to email us to talk about a different pricing model that may suit your needs better
07:43 plambre joined #geoloqi
08:21 patrickarlt joined #geoloqi
08:25 patricka_ joined #geoloqi
08:54 patrickarlt joined #geoloqi
09:35 patrickarlt joined #geoloqi
09:57 manny joined #geoloqi
11:19 patrickarlt joined #geoloqi
11:58 patrickarlt joined #geoloqi
12:22 patrickarlt joined #geoloqi
13:26 patrickarlt joined #geoloqi
16:30 manny joined #geoloqi
16:49 patrickarlt joined #geoloqi
17:07 patricka_ joined #geoloqi
17:33 patrickarlt joined #geoloqi
17:57 manny joined #geoloqi
18:10 patrickarlt joined #geoloqi
19:05 oeyvind joined #geoloqi
19:24 ngoldman joined #geoloqi
19:45 patrickarlt joined #geoloqi
19:49 <oeyvind> hi I have a problem, I need to at all times ensure all users are subscribed to all layers. When creating a user it's easy, I just add the complete list of layers. The problem, however, is when I create a new layer and I need to subscribe all users to the new layer. I was wondering whether I could use batch/run and layer/subscribe. Wondering how many subscriptions I can send at the time. Have looked around and can't find an elegant way o
19:49 <oeyvind> f doing this
19:50 <oeyvind> What I want to avoid is getting callbacks all the time because it is expensive
19:51 <oeyvind> another approach would be to see if it's possible to find a model where we pay more and just get callbacks every time someone enters a place and decide in our own API what to do. But need to be sure we can get a model where the price doesn't spiral out of control
19:53 <aaronpk> oeyvind: it sounds like you should email Robin Jones to talk further about this. She'll be able to help work out something where the price won't spiral out of control. robin_jones@esri.com
19:53 <aaronpk> email sales@geoloqi.com and cc her
20:39 <oeyvind> aaronpk: thanks doing that at the moment
20:40 <oeyvind> and just to make sure, using batch/run and layer/subscribe to subscribe a lot of users wouldn't really be feasible?
20:40 <aaronpk> you could, sure
20:41 <aaronpk> batch/run is just a way to avoid making repeated API calls. really all it does internally is make the API calls for you
20:41 <oeyvind> yeah I understand, but let's say you want to do it for thousands of users
20:42 <oeyvind> and the number of users could get very large soon
20:42 <aaronpk> when you make a call to batch/run, it goes and makes all the API calls for you but it's talking to localhost so it goes faster
20:43 <oeyvind> so could batch/run subscribe, say, 1000 users at the time?
20:43 <aaronpk> sure. it may take a few seconds or so
20:43 <aaronpk> out of curiosity, why are you creating triggers on separate layers if everyone should be always subscribed to everything?
20:43 <oeyvind> hmmm that's interesting
20:44 <oeyvind> hmmmmm just thought of something maybe I'm being stupid
20:44 <oeyvind> ah no
20:45 <oeyvind> so want different layers with different places and triggers that only fire once
20:46 <oeyvind> wouldn't be able to reuse the layer because different layers should have different places
20:47 <aaronpk> I guess my question is why don't you just have everything on a single layer?
20:47 <aaronpk> what exactly is the use case?
20:49 <oeyvind> ok let me come up with an example: Ideally let's say Layer L1 with places P1, P2 and trigger T1 attached to L1. When a user moves to either P1 or P2, T1 fires exactly once, which is what we want
20:50 <oeyvind> Let's say we had a global layer L1 with places P1, P2, P3, P4 and trigger T1 attached to L1. We're only interested in P1, P2, but T1 also fires when the user moves to either P3 or P4
20:51 <oeyvind> in this example the trigger would have to fire every time so we can determine internally in our system whether it's P1, P2, P3 or P4. We would keep getting trigger callbacks even when we no longer need it
20:51 <oeyvind> does that make sense?
20:51 <aaronpk> if you're only interested in P1 and P2 then why would you created P3 and P4 in the first place?
20:52 <oeyvind> so this was if we used a global layer
20:52 <oeyvind> to avoid having to always subscribe users to new layers
20:52 <aaronpk> sure, but you also said that you always wanted every user to be subscribed to every layer
20:52 <oeyvind> imagine there's another trigger T2 that should be relevant for P3,P4
20:53 <oeyvind> overall what I'm trying to achieve is an example where T1 fires when user enters P1,P2 and T2 fires when user enters P3,P4
20:54 <aaronpk> interesting
20:57 <oeyvind> a global layer won't work because if you attach T1 and T2 to the layer they all fire at P1,P2,P3 and P4
20:58 <oeyvind> and individual layers require signing up every user to every layer
21:20 <oeyvind> no known workarounds for my problem?
21:21 <oeyvind> we sent an email to sales, might try to go for a solution with global layer where we get callbacks every time and decide what to do on our end
21:21 <oeyvind> but think it's strange that Geoloqi doesn't seem to handle this
21:22 <aaronpk> yea I can't think of anything other than what you've already described
21:22 <aaronpk> it's a pretty specific use case, I haven't seen anybody try to do this yet
21:49 manny joined #geoloqi