16:08 ngoldman joined #geoloqi
17:51 ngoldman joined #geoloqi
18:02 manny joined #geoloqi
18:22 patrickarlt joined #geoloqi
18:24 patricka_ joined #geoloqi
18:55 patrickarlt joined #geoloqi
20:11 patrickarlt joined #geoloqi
20:23 oeyvind joined #geoloqi
20:28 <oeyvind> Hi, I have a question about triggers. I have been able to set up a callback trigger, running it and getting the callback by calling trigger/run/:id successfully. I now want to create an anonymous user, subscribe it to a layer with a place with a trigger, update the user's location and get the callback. I have tried calling location/update with the user's access token (and verified that the user ends up in the right place) but the trigge
20:28 <oeyvind> r doesn't seem to be fired. (Currently I would prefer if I could test this just by calling APIs directly using curl) Thanks
20:31 patrickarlt joined #geoloqi
20:33 <aaronpk> to test with location/update you would have to send one point outside the trigger folowed by a point inside the trigger
20:33 <aaronpk> sending only points that are within the trigger won't make it run again
20:34 <aaronpk> I usually do this by writing a small php or ruby script that has a sleep(2) in between the two calls to location/update
20:36 <oeyvind> ah awesome will test that thanks
20:58 <oeyvind> hmmm still not working
20:59 <aaronpk> can you tell me the trigger ID?
20:59 <oeyvind> 6a6H
21:00 <oeyvind> Layer id: 9u8U Place id: D_U_ Trigger id: 6a6H User id: 5u0X User access token: 13723f-09e9287d9da44ed1fbc77cf51d74ff05feca03ea
21:01 <oeyvind> I can post all the json requests/responses too
21:01 <aaronpk> sure that'd be helpful
21:02 <aaronpk> put them in a private gist or something on gist.github.com
21:05 patrickarlt joined #geoloqi
21:09 <aaronpk> oeyvind: ooh you know what it is? the timestamp on the two updates is the same so it ignores one
21:11 <aaronpk> either that or it's in the future so it ignores it
21:13 <oeyvind> ah fantastic, it worked, got something now finally
21:13 <oeyvind> thanks a lot
21:14 <oeyvind> I've got to say, I have to do a bit of guessing when looking at the documentation
21:14 <oeyvind> oh btw, have another quesiton now that I've got you
21:14 <oeyvind> let's say I want to have several layers
21:15 <oeyvind> is it possible somehow not to have to sign up every single user to all layers?
21:15 <oeyvind> Since I use callbacks I want to control who gets push notifications from there
21:16 <oeyvind> noticed that you can attach group tokens to layers, was wondering if adding a user to a group and then adding that group to the layer you wouldn't have to subscribe every user to every layer
21:18 <aaronpk> oh great, ok
21:18 <aaronpk> unfortunately you do have to subscribe every user to the layer
21:18 <aaronpk> but you could do that when the user is created
21:19 <aaronpk> there's a "layer_ids" on user/create_anon which lets you subscribe them when the user is created
21:20 <oeyvind> yeah but the trick is when we create layers later on we have to go back and subscribe all users
21:20 <oeyvind> not nice
21:20 <aaronpk> ahh
21:20 <aaronpk> yes that's true
21:20 <oeyvind> when the number of users gets big that's not gonna be scalable
21:21 <aaronpk> i'm trying to think of whether that's addressed in our new tag-based scheme for the new versino of the API
21:21 <oeyvind> oh?
21:22 <aaronpk> we're all hard at work on the new version of the API which will be offered through developers.arcgis.com
21:22 <oeyvind> ah ok
21:22 <oeyvind> but could take some time before it's ready for production?
21:23 <aaronpk> we have a couple of select customers who have been using the geoloqi API for a while set to do a beta test on it first before we roll it out to everyone
21:24 <aaronpk> it uses the idea of "tags" instead of the layer/place/trigger structure
21:24 <oeyvind> ah ok so you're in the final stages?
21:24 <aaronpk> yea, nearing the finish line!
21:24 <oeyvind> ah ok
21:25 <oeyvind> is it very different from the existing API?
21:25 <aaronpk> yes, quite
21:26 <oeyvind> hmm so will that replace geoloqi?
21:27 <aaronpk> yes. but since we have so many live apps on the geoloqi API it won't be going away for a long time, just will stop taking new signups on it
21:28 <oeyvind> hmmmm sounds kind of scary :)
21:28 <oeyvind> so you think it would be a better idea to go with the new one?
21:28 <aaronpk> I believe Dec 2014 is our target date, although we will likely push that back since we'll be launching the new one in production a couple months behind our original schedule
21:29 <aaronpk> so if you do launch on Geoloqi it will work at least until Dec 2014 but probably more like Mar 2015
21:30 <oeyvind> hmmmmm that sounds risky actually
21:30 <oeyvind> and when is your new API going live?
21:31 <aaronpk> really we won't shut it down until we've worked with everyone to migrate to the new API. we're handling these cases of production apps very manually
21:31 <aaronpk> brb
21:32 <oeyvind> well but the issue is if we have lots of people using the app and we have to start migrating while lots of other stuff is happening, for us it's a major risk :(
21:39 <oeyvind> hi just talked to someone and was wondering whether it's possible to get access to the new API instead
21:39 <oeyvind> sounds much better to get it done properly early rather than later
21:40 <oeyvind> we're a startup company and things are moving really fast so we need to make the best decision we can make
21:48 <oeyvind> Hi aaronpk are you there? It made me a bit nervous when you said the API is very different. If we model a lot of stuff in our system it sounds like the migration effort could be big, and that could be in a critical phase where were don't have time to do this
21:48 aaronpk|m joined #geoloqi
21:49 <aaronpk|m> oeyvind: hi, sorry. I'm at the airport and they just moved my flight back til 12:30 and I'm trying to re-book it
21:49 <oeyvind> ah ok
21:50 <aaronpk|m> Yea I hear you on that. We do have a lot of customers we'll be working with to help migrate
21:50 <aaronpk|m> Will probably end up creating some automation tools to move data over as well
21:50 <aaronpk|m> I can share the first draft of the migration guide so you have an idea of what it will look like
21:51 <oeyvind> ok that would be good
21:51 <oeyvind> is it possible to get access to the new API? Or is it not ready?
21:51 <aaronpk|m> Can you email support@geoloqi.com and ask for the guide? I'll make sure to follow up in the morning. Include a link to the irc logs for reference
21:52 <oeyvind> Ok will do. Thanks
21:52 <aaronpk|m> We don't have it publicly available yet, but like I said we have a couple existing customers getting early access
21:52 <oeyvind> Good luck getting your tickets :)
21:52 <aaronpk|m> You can also add that to the email and I can have someone talk to you about that.
21:53 <aaronpk|m> I'm not directly responsible for giving out early access but can make sure you are in touch with the right person
22:57 ngoldman joined #geoloqi