2013-04-07

07:34 <Loqi> https://twitter.com/MeetTheStartup :: The Meet the Startup Daily is out! http://paper.li/MeetTheStartup/1309617263 ▸ Top stories today via @geoloqi @iChirpify
09:15 <Loqi> https://twitter.com/geoloqi :: RT @EsriPDX: TechCrunch Disrupt NYC 2013 - Saturday Apr 27 http://techcrunch.com/events/disrupt-ny-2013/
09:55 bdiu joined #geoloqi
10:52 <bdiu> so, in the android sdk, there's a missing class (or I'm missing some marbles): import com.geoloqi.android.sample.R
10:52 <bdiu> <-- not present in any of the libs or src files
10:52 <bdiu> anyone have any thoughts?
11:12 <aaronpk> that's an auto-generated file that is part of the Android build process
11:12 <aaronpk> usually if it's not there it's because there's an error causing the project not to compile
11:13 <aaronpk> bdiu: it's a general Android thing, may be able to find a solution by searching android forums
11:13 <bdiu> i dont believe so
11:13 <bdiu> that class path is specific to your source
11:13 <bdiu> and it's not present in either the jar or the source files
11:16 <bdiu> aaronpk: I checked both branches of the git repo (though I haven't dug through the history)
11:21 <bdiu> oh weird.. it's in /gen and not /src
11:23 <bdiu> Okay, I think I see what's happening... new issues now, but I'll get to the root soon, thanks for looking
11:27 <aaronpk> ok great, sorry i'm not super familiar with the android side of things
11:34 <bdiu> close but no cigar for me... time for a break
11:34 <bdiu> heh
15:38 bdiu joined #geoloqi
15:42 <bdiu> yay, compiling the android sample... now just trying to figure out why it's not doing anything
15:42 <Loqi> ACTION giggles
15:42 <bdiu> Loqi: bot, I assume?
15:44 <bdiu> aaronpk: the api console is pretty sweet, is that custom or part of an oss project?
15:45 <aaronpk> thanks! it's just built right in to the site
15:45 <aaronpk> we debated using a service for it, but realized it wouldn't take that long to just build
15:45 <bdiu> we have been trying to figure out the best approach for managing docs/testing for our rest apis
15:46 <aaronpk> managing docs is always a hard one :)
15:46 <aaronpk> although the guys at &yet just shared their super sweet process with me
15:47 <aaronpk> just asked, they don't have anything written up yet, but henrik did give a talk on it: http://2012.realtimeconf.com/video/henrik-joreteg
15:49 <bdiu> nice, I'll check it out
15:50 <bdiu> I have a call w/ Scott M. tomorrow, any pointers?
15:50 <aaronpk> depends on the context of the call :)
15:51 <bdiu> true
15:52 <bdiu> I'm pretty interested in his background, does he like to talk about that stuff or is he more of a one-liner type of guy?
15:53 <aaronpk> I think he'd tell you stories if you warm him up. I don't know how his normal interview calls go though.
15:54 <bdiu> gotcha... I'm just trying to get some advice around what RideAmigos is doing in terms of business/tech strategy and esri-integration and pointers on how to be better at my job
15:54 <aaronpk> oh are you one of the RideAmigos guys?
15:55 <bdiu> yeah, Ben Dalton...we talked a fair amount at the dev/partner stuff
15:55 <aaronpk> ah! cool. had no idea lol!
15:55 <bdiu> CTO
15:55 <aaronpk> yea I remember!
15:55 <aaronpk> didn't recognize "bdiu"
15:55 <bdiu> yeah
15:55 <bdiu> I used to have bendalton on other networks, but it's taken here
15:55 <bdiu> bdiu = ben dalton indiana university
15:56 <bdiu> however, really early on IRC i was... breeze, mr_cool, daceroth.... and a slew of other equally lousy names... that's what happens when you are 14/15
15:57 <aaronpk> hah, it happens
15:57 <bdiu> anyway... So as I mentioned in Palm Springs... your tracking tech is incredibly interesting to us
15:58 <bdiu> I'm trying to get a version running on my and my wife's phones tonight so I can start looking at the type of data/reliability we are seeing
15:59 <aaronpk> sweet. I will give you one disclaimer, which is that since we've been working on the new esri-integrated version of the system we haven't updated the Geoloqi version in quite a while, so whatever performance you get, it will be better when it's an ArcGIS product
16:00 <bdiu> yeah, I bugged Johan/Myles to help us get early-as-possible access
16:00 <bdiu> So, will this be an ArcGIS Online service or be tied into the Server product?
16:01 <aaronpk> cool, we will make sure you're one of the first!
16:01 <aaronpk> it will be Online only
16:03 <bdiu> Depending on where we end up in terms of server vs. online implementation, we may have to roll-our-own gps tracking using some of the best practices you've discovered
16:03 <aaronpk> the GeoEvents software is the Server version, so you may be able to leverage that as well
16:03 <bdiu> sweet
16:04 <aaronpk> it's still a bit early so we're still working on describing this to the outside world :)
16:04 <bdiu> Of course – anyway, thanks for the time Aaron... Time to go be social for a while... have a good one
16:05 <aaronpk> cool! have a good evening!
16:05 <aaronpk> er, day?
16:05 <aaronpk> it's midnight in Dublin right now, heh
16:07 <bdiu> so, good night!
16:07 <aaronpk> nice
16:07 <Loqi> ciao