2012-12-12

07:44 caseorganic joined #geoloqi
08:03 patrickarlt joined #geoloqi
08:39 hs0j joined #geoloqi
08:54 plamb joined #geoloqi
09:12 kyledrake joined #geoloqi
09:13 kyledrake joined #geoloqi
09:36 <Azra-el> hey guys anybody up? :)
09:38 <patrickarlt> aaronpk: you should help Azra-el he is having trouble with push i helped him a bit yesterday
09:38 <aaronpk> good morning!
09:38 <Loqi> morning. Possible light rain starting in 15 min, stopping 20 min later
10:19 <Azra-el> thanks patrick. and morning aaron. i sent you an irc message late last night. if you didn't get it please let me know so i can copy/paste it
10:19 <Loqi> good morning! Possible sprinkling and 42 degrees
10:21 <aaronpk> Azra-el: ok! let me find that
10:22 <Azra-el> thanks mate
10:24 se7h joined #geoloqi
10:26 <aaronpk> Azra-el: ok let me help you debug this
10:31 <aaronpk> alright, looking at your account I don't see any push notification tokens being registered on the devices yet
10:31 <aaronpk> do you get this alert when you run the app? "Could Not Register For Push"
10:34 <aaronpk> Azra-el: ^
10:46 <Azra-el> sorry i was waiting on the pm box
10:46 <Azra-el> yes we dont see any tokens on any users indeed. and that is strange because our code is exactly like in that gist
10:46 <Azra-el> and no.. no errors
10:46 <aaronpk> ah sorry. I try to keep communication in this channel so others can see there is a conversation happening. it's best to use PMs only to share private info
10:47 <Azra-el> and we're using urban airship just fine.
10:48 <aaronpk> ok, and you're using the same certificates for this app?
10:48 <Azra-el> yup
10:48 <aaronpk> and have set the bundle ID properly to match?
10:49 <Azra-el> where should that bundle id be set?
10:49 <aaronpk> i belive it's in the project setup
10:50 <Azra-el> in appcelerator?
10:50 <aaronpk> yea
10:50 <Azra-el> well yes.
10:52 <Azra-el> my dev is not online so i think that if you're going to be online in a bit ill come back with definite data. its easier for him if i handle this communication. are you going to be online in a little bit? also.. i wanted to know about that key parameter that could be sent with the create_anon .. there is no way to send it with .init() right now right?
10:52 <patrickarlt> i didnt get it
10:52 <patrickarlt> ignore that sorry
10:53 <aaronpk> Azra-el: can you add some debugging output into the "Ti.Network.registerForPushNotifications" callback so we can see if the app is even getting a push token itself?
10:54 <aaronpk> example here http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6557540/appcelerator-and-urban-airship where they use Ti.API.info to output "successfully registered for apple device token"
10:55 <Azra-el> yup. i will. and ill get back to you with a gist with that. so what about the key parameter?
10:56 <aaronpk> i'm trying to find out about that, I believe the init() method doesn't have a way to set that. however it would be possible to use the API directly and call user/create_anon with a "key" parameter
10:56 <aaronpk> i'll get back to you with a definite answer on the init() method tho
10:57 <Azra-el> ok. because calling create_anon another time i think would create another user then the one created from init() so i would end up with two users.
10:58 <aaronpk> right, you could instead replace init() with the user/create_anon call
10:58 <aaronpk> (init is just a shortcut for a few things)
10:58 <aaronpk> if you are just trying to find a way to identify users, you could use the "extra" properties and can make that API call after the account is created
10:59 <aaronpk> you just don't get a way to look up users by the 'extra' properties later
11:00 <aaronpk> ok i've gotta run, will get back to you about the init() method in a bit
11:00 <Azra-el> yeah and that's something that i really need. but ... when you say call user/create_anon .. are you refering to the rest api? something like instead geoloqi.init .. i would instead need to call geoloqi.session.postrequest("user/create_anon") ?
11:01 <Azra-el> ok.. il lget back to you with a log also
11:34 <Loqi> http://twitter.com/JoyWCal :: @liz2penney So, some teams are coming up with team names. So far I've come up with one, #MapAttack, kinda like Mac Attack, LOL. Lame,I know.
12:02 <Loqi> http://twitter.com/clivewalker :: @SocialHiking How is Geotrax/Geoloqi integration? Is it usable?
12:13 zoli joined #geoloqi
12:19 <aaronpk> hello zoli
12:22 <zoli> I have set up geoloqi and the init function returns with a success
12:22 <zoli> I get the access token, user id, username
12:22 <zoli> then I subscribe to a layer, also return with a success
12:23 <aaronpk> great
12:23 <zoli> and in the init callback I register for push, it also return with success
12:23 <aaronpk> do you see a push token in the callback after registering for push?
12:23 <zoli> yes, I get the device token
12:23 <aaronpk> ok great
12:24 <aaronpk> and then you call "geoloqi.iOS.registerDeviceToken(data.deviceToken);" like in the Gist?
12:25 <zoli> exactly
12:26 <zoli> but the problem is when I try to send a message in the API console
12:26 <zoli> It returns no devices registered
12:27 <aaronpk> I see. I'm looking at the devices on your app and I don't see the push token on them for some reason
12:29 <zoli> Just to be clear. The device ID which I have to specify in the init function is the API Key on the site?
12:30 <aaronpk> the clientId parameter of init is the API key on the site
12:30 <aaronpk> can you try this instead? geoloqi.iOS.registerDeviceToken(data.deviceToken, "dev");
12:31 <aaronpk> add the second parameter "dev" while in development. switch it to "live" when you use the production apple cert
12:31 <zoli> ok, I'll try it
12:49 <aaronpk> zoli: I see a device token now!
12:52 <zoli> now it works:)
12:52 <aaronpk> wonderful!
12:52 <zoli> it was the 'dev' parameter
12:52 <zoli> thank you for your help
12:52 <aaronpk> no problem! sorry for the confusion!
12:54 <zoli> I would have a question
12:54 <zoli> there is a user/create_anon function and there is a key parameter
12:54 <zoli> but when I call the init function this create_anon is called automatically?
12:54 <aaronpk> correct
12:54 <aaronpk> init() wraps some setup functionality
12:55 <zoli> and I could specify the key parameter in the init part?
12:57 <aaronpk> I had someone checking on that
12:57 <aaronpk> I believe the Android version does properly, pretty sure the iPhone does too
13:02 caseorganic joined #geoloqi
13:04 <zoli> and how could I check in the API console if it works?
13:05 <aaronpk> in the API console you should see a call to user/create_anon, it would be one of the parameters in that request
13:13 <zoli> unfortunately in the create_anon call I don't see the key parameter
13:14 <aaronpk> can you use 'extra' properties for this instead?
13:14 <aaronpk> you can store arbitrary data there, you just can't look up users from it
13:17 <zoli> I can see the extra
13:21 <zoli> well if you can't look up users with the extra what's the use?
13:21 <aaronpk> you can store data there and it will be sent in the post request for callbacks
13:25 <Azra-el> is there any way to set the key after init() ?
13:25 <aaronpk> no there isn't
13:26 <Azra-el> and extra cannot be used for deduplication for example?
13:26 <aaronpk> correct
13:27 <Azra-el> so best to just forget about init() i guess and do it manually correct?
13:27 <aaronpk> what exactly are you trying to do with de-duplicating users by a key on the device?
13:29 <zoli> I see in the module documentation that there is a createUser function. How can we use this? In the init callback it doesn't work
13:29 <zoli> if we could create the users manually, then we could pass the key parameter
13:30 <Azra-el> as far as i understood its purpose we can make sure that we can send the key param being our internal user id ... so when a user uninstalls... and creates another anon user it will get the same user as it was registered before with the same key correct ?
13:39 <hs0j> Azra-el: that's correct
13:39 <hs0j> zoli: I'm trying to find the docs for the createUser function. one moment please
13:42 <Azra-el> hs0j ... thanks ... and that's why we need to setup the key for each anon user.
13:43 <hs0j> zoli: you should be able to call createAnonymousUser and pass it parameters as described here: http://developers.geoloqi.com/titanium/getting-started#createAnonymousUser
13:44 <hs0j> you might have to scroll up just a touch to see all of doc for that method
13:44 <zoli> ok, I'll try that
13:45 <zoli> I should put this in the init callback, right?
13:45 <Loqi> it is probable
13:45 <hs0j> Don't listen to Loqi, that's our bot :)
13:45 <Loqi> who, me?
13:46 courtf joined #geoloqi
13:46 <hs0j> I think you'll need to put the createAnonymousUser call before the init. give me another moment and I'll double check
13:48 <zoli> in the docs that you also linked init is supposed to accept key as an optional parameter.. except that it doesn't
13:48 <hs0j> does it throw an error, or just not do anything?
13:51 <zoli> it doesn't do anything
13:52 <zoli> now I have called createAnonymus function in the init callback
13:53 <zoli> and I see in the log that create_anon is called twice, by init and createAnonymusUser
13:53 <hs0j> That
13:54 <hs0j> *that's correct. init always creates a user
13:54 <zoli> in the response when createAnonymusUser called the create anon in the response I see the key:
13:54 <zoli> extra: {"key": "unique_identifier2", ...
13:54 <Loqi> http://twitter.com/SocialHiking :: @clivewalker possibly geoloqi/add
13:57 <zoli> and the layerIds also appear in the extra and it doesn't seem to work
13:59 <hs0j> zoli: would you be willing to either send me a zip of your project or paste the code in question to a private gist on github?
14:05 <zoli> yes
14:06 <hs0j> zoli: great. my email is josh@geoloqi.com
14:08 <hs0j> sorry if this has already been asked by my coworkers, but what version of the geoloqi module are you using, and are you testing on Android or iOS?
14:10 <Loqi> http://twitter.com/clivewalker :: @SocialHiking I'm signed up and Geoloqi account added to SH. Will test at the weekend. Anything else I need to know?
14:11 <zoli> 1.2
14:17 <hs0j> zoli: is that for the iOS version, Android version, or are both at 1.2?
14:17 <zoli> I am only using 1.2 of iOS, I don't use the Android module
14:19 <hs0j> Ok. Will you be online for a while? Our iOS dev is currently busy... I will take a look at the iOS code, but I'm an Android developer :)
14:22 <zoli> I will be online, but I will send you my email address in private if I won't be online when the other developer will have time
14:23 <hs0j> zoli: got it!
14:54 <zoli> hs0j: I have to go now. could you write me an e-mail if you find what could be the problem?
14:55 <hs0j> zoli: yes. I think I've found the problem. I will write you an email in a bit.
14:55 <zoli> ok. thanks a lot. bye
14:59 <Azra-el> hs0j ... thanks for your time.. mind if you add me as cc to that email ? im curious also. the documentation for the titanium module is really iffy
15:02 <hs0j> Azra-el: sure, just msg me your email address.
15:03 <hs0j> you are right about the doc. aside from organizing it better and making the full method reference easier to find, is there anything you can think of that would make it less iffy? more examples, or a better demo app, perhaps?
15:08 <Azra-el> a simple example with titanium would be awesome. hell... im even planning on making one as soon as we discover how to solve our problems and put it on github. for example... what is the purpose for createAnnonymousUser? since it does not connect to geoloqi servers.. it doesnt need clientID etc. there should be an example thats all and like you said better organization. and if a parameter isnt
15:08 <Azra-el> supported... it should not be there.. likewise if its supported and needed (like the dev thing for push) .. it should be there. :)
15:40 caseorganic joined #geoloqi
16:19 patrickarlt joined #geoloqi
17:20 jhelwig joined #geoloqi
17:39 kyledrake joined #geoloqi
19:45 patrickarlt joined #geoloqi
20:14 caseorganic joined #geoloqi
20:25 caseorganic joined #geoloqi
20:59 patrickarlt joined #geoloqi
21:39 patrickarlt joined #geoloqi
22:34 patrickarlt joined #geoloqi
23:45 patrickarlt joined #geoloqi