2010-07-08

06:15 jtbandes joined #geoloqi
07:47 jtbandes joined #geoloqi
09:00 workshop joined #geoloqi
09:35 jtbandes joined #geoloqi
10:01 <workshop> minor thing, but renamed the build product in the xcode project
10:01 <workshop> meaning the app name comes out as Geoloqi now
10:01 <workshop> project & such are still the same name
10:01 <workshop> that's trickier to change
10:04 <aaronpk> I thought we had already renamed it to Geoloqi? Or did it only get half renamed?
10:04 <workshop> the app being built was still called LocationUpdaer
10:04 <workshop> it's a one-line change to change it
10:05 <aaronpk> oh weird, ok
11:50 <workshop> ok, basic geonote radius is in
11:50 <workshop> i'm not completely happy with it, but it's a start
11:51 <workshop> two things: "Hood" and possibly reducing the flow for location + radius to one step, like we talked about aaronpk
11:51 <workshop> it would be good to get this in-hand though and test it out
11:51 <workshop> get a feel for it
11:52 <aaronpk> oh hey that's awesome
11:52 <aaronpk> do you suppose it would be possible to allow dragging the map from under the circle?
11:52 <aaronpk> that would keep it to one step
11:52 <workshop> yeah, i think that's worth a shot
11:53 <workshop> the 2nd step has no dragging and no zooming
11:53 <workshop> we could just add dragging
11:53 <workshop> with zooming, then it gets complicated how that affects radius
11:53 <aaronpk> yea, dragging and selecting the 4 sizes would be great
11:53 <workshop> how do you feel about "Hood"
11:53 <workshop> only thing that could fit
11:53 <workshop> i tried a slider
11:53 <workshop> but it didn't feel right
11:54 <workshop> you can't do discrete sliders on iphone
11:54 <workshop> so there was no 'snap'
11:54 <aaronpk> ah yea
11:54 <workshop> it was just, hey, drag a while, then the circle changes
11:54 <workshop> i originally had a slider and a text label for the radius name
11:54 <aaronpk> interestingly, I think of "hood" as being smaller than "area"
11:54 <workshop> yeah
11:54 <aaronpk> they are both sorta vague terms tho
11:54 <workshop> the other thing i noticed is
11:54 <workshop> for your meter values
11:54 <workshop> they don't quite mesh
11:54 <workshop> like if you pick neighborhood
11:54 <workshop> for downtown
11:54 <workshop> it covers some of the eastside
11:55 <workshop> which you don't think of as neighhorhood
11:55 <workshop> not sure if that will be confusing
11:55 <workshop> those are in meters right?
11:55 <aaronpk> yea
11:55 <workshop> i have:
11:55 <workshop> #define kGeonoteRadiusBlock 120.0f
11:55 <workshop> #define kGeonoteRadiusArea 400.0f
11:55 <workshop> #define kGeonoteRadiusNeighborhood 1200.0f
11:55 <workshop> #define kGeonoteRadiusCity 6000.0f
11:55 <aaronpk> could do Block, 10 Blocks, 500 meters, City, something like that
11:55 <aaronpk> or i guess 1km
11:55 <aaronpk> 1/2 mi
11:55 <aaronpk> ugh
11:55 <workshop> how important is it that it be at step levels on the backend?
11:56 <aaronpk> not at all important
11:56 <workshop> so it could be continuous
11:56 <aaronpk> that was just for convenience in the web interface i made
11:56 <workshop> or to nearest 10m or something
11:56 <workshop> and just drag to whatever
11:56 <aaronpk> yea, it can be any value in meters
11:56 <workshop> ok
11:56 <workshop> i'll try next with the combination of maps
11:57 <aaronpk> So if you did have a slider, it wouldn't need to snap, it could be a continuous slider
11:57 <workshop> yeah
11:57 <workshop> and we could do it one of 2 ways: update view on release
11:57 <workshop> or update continously, depending on performance
11:57 <workshop> and we might not even need to give a # readout
11:58 <workshop> might be simpler to just store that
11:58 <workshop> and just do it all visual
11:58 <aaronpk> yea I think that makes sense
11:58 <workshop> with each end of the slider being like 10m or 2-3km
11:58 <workshop> somethign like that
11:58 <workshop> behind the scenes
11:58 <aaronpk> perfect
12:03 <workshop> cool, i'll give it a shot in the near future
12:03 <workshop> the hard stuff is done... the circle, the changing
12:03 <workshop> and it wasn't that hard
12:03 <workshop> that's 4.0 btw
12:03 <workshop> but it might not be hard to backport
12:03 <workshop> actually, depending
12:04 <workshop> if we do want to scroll the map, doing it on 3.x might be tricky
12:04 <workshop> overlaying views is easy, tracking them together might be trickier
12:04 <workshop> whereas this 4.0 stuff takes care of it automatically thorugh 'overlays'
12:04 <workshop> so i guess the combining steps might depend on < 4.0 support needs
12:05 <aaronpk> interesting. Well a 4.0-only app is a good place to start, we can figure out how to backport it later
12:08 <workshop> yeah
12:08 <workshop> get the right flow down, then decide
12:11 <workshop> uh, do you have an icon anyplace
12:11 <workshop> usable for the app
12:13 <aaronpk> for the home screen?
12:14 <aaronpk> I thoguht it was already in there...let me check
12:19 <workshop> oh nice, i'll put that on too
12:19 <workshop> i'm still working in svn, not github
12:19 <aaronpk> ohh, you should switch to github asap
12:20 <workshop> yeah
12:20 <workshop> i'll see if i can switch my stuff across
12:20 <aaronpk> hopefully merging won't be too messy
12:54 <jtbandes> I'm late, but I swear the app name was Geoloqi
12:54 <jtbandes> I mean the project name and stuff
12:55 <jtbandes> Also, it's easy to change the project name, just go Project > Rename
12:55 <jtbandes> Yeah, the version I have from github is definitely already called Geoloqi
12:57 <jtbandes> ...oh, 'cause you're on svn
12:57 <jtbandes> (this is why I shouldn't come into conversations late)
13:06 <aaronpk> yea I was wondering why he was talking about renaming the project, I thought you had already done that
13:29 workshop joined #geoloqi
13:33 <workshop> yeah
13:33 <workshop> you been working on the geonote tab/controller at all?
13:33 <workshop> jtbandes:
13:33 <jtbandes> nope
13:34 <workshop> cause if not, it should go eays
13:34 <workshop> easy
13:34 <workshop> all i did today was rename the build product & the settings tab controller from LocationUpdater to Settings
13:34 <jtbandes> Just have a look at my commits on github
13:34 <workshop> which i can redo easily enough in git
13:34 <workshop> yeah
13:34 <workshop> i'll catch it up later
13:34 <workshop> gots some work to do
13:34 <workshop> :-)
13:34 <workshop> but i'll switch over
18:33 workshop joined #geoloqi
20:28 jtbandes joined #geoloqi